2012-11-18

8kg Gingerbread

8kg Gingerbread

Christmas is approaching, so today I was busy preparing gingerbread. Living in Taiwan, I can not go to the supermarket and buy some, so for quite a few years I have been baking my own, following a more traditional recipe - which means I need to bake at least one month before Christmas, because this gingerbread will be hard after baking and slowly soften.

Almost everything needs to be done from the basics, including making a gingerbread powder mix from herbs. These I get at a Chinese pharmacy btw, supermarkets here do not carry them. And potassium carbonate I have to get from a chemical supplies dealer...

If you wonder what I do with so much gingerbread: Most of it will be given away to a lot of people. I hand out small Christmas presents at work, have friends come for Christmas lunch (this year twice) and of course want to eat some of it myself. Btw, this gingerbread will not become hard and dry when exposed to air, it becomes soft and can even here be kept for up to a year.







No comments: