2015-11-05

Rich Purnell is a steely-eyed missile man


Rich Purnell is a steely-eyed missile man

I finally got to see "The Martian" - and I love it! I knew the book, had high expectations and was afraid to be disappointed, but that didn't happen.

Mindy Park was pretty much how I imagined her from the book - good casting and acting. The same applies to Martinez, but that I already knew from the trailers. Rich Purnell was a bit different from my expectation, I had imagined a grumpy old man, but the film version was nice too.

Yes, they shortened a lot, they had to. Everyone who read the book (If you haven't yet, do it!) will understand that. There are only two things I didn't like that much: Mindy Park's discovery could have been done like in the book with no extra effort. And Iron Man, well, that was Hollywood.

I had wondered before, how much ABBA the film would have. But yes, there was much more music in the 70s than ABBA. I noticed I have all the songs used in the film - all except one, which is embarrassing, because it's David Bowie. If you haven't read the book: The music in this film is not just background entertainment, the whole book is full of references to music, this was really part of the script.They had to use all that music.

I also liked how many key phrases from the book made it into the film, like the one in the title. It was simply great. So, if you haven't seen the film yet, but you like disco or voiding warranties: Watch it! And read the book! Preferably not in that order.

No comments: