2017-12-07

More, more, more...

More, more, more...

More stollen, more marzipan potatoes. Some of our students are waking up now and noticing that we are moving through December, so now I even get requests for baking activities.

The fourth year asked for stollen, so we made that. And since we made the marzipan in them ourselves, the surplus went into marzipan potatoes.

Marzipan is both still rather uncommon and worth making yourself here in Taiwan. Readily made marzipan (usually "1:1", meaning equal parts of almond powder and powdered sugar, quite sweet) costs about TWD700 (more than USD20) per kilogram, while the almost 1kg we made costs only a third of that.

There also was another request for gingerbread. Hmm...

#nkfust #ifad #高科大 #應徳系





6 comments:

Ilona Fichtner said...

Wow

Sandy B said...

I wish I could take these classes.

Olaf Fichtner said...

Sandy B they are not really classes, just activities where I show students how a few things I know of can be done. Usually there are not more than six students, one reason being limited space in the kitchen, another a slight lack of interest, something I'm still working on.

Sandy B said...

I already know how to bake, but I don’t know any traditional European recipes. It looks like a lot of fun.

Olaf Fichtner said...

Sandy B I didn't really know much when I moved to Taiwan, because in Germany I would just buy the final product. That didn't work here and often I couldn't even find ingredients, so it took me some time to find out how to make everything from scratch. Quite often it turned out to be pretty easy, the biggest problem really was to find out.

And fun - yes, definitely. I regret not having recorded video this time. Jordan, the one with the mask, made a very entertaining soundtrack while working the dough.

Sandy B said...

🙂