2009-01-13

When I said my quarters were cold,...

...I did not mean, 'Oh, I think it's a little chilly in here, perhaps I'll throw a blanket on the bed.' No, I said it was COLD, as in, 'Oh, my left arm has snapped off like an icicle and shattered on the floor'! This is highly inappropriate, Captain!

Ambassador Londo Mollari in Babylon5: The Illusion of Truth

Our six degrees plus wind the last few days here on Taiwan may not be as low as the -20 or less in Europe, but here, the inside temperature is about the same as the one outside.

Something I can not quite comprehend even after a few years here: The cold time may be significantly shorter than the hot time of the year, but it is there. So why is it impossible to produce windows and doors that do not let the wind blow through? Why is it impossible to thermally insulate a house, so that it would make sense to use a heater?

Yes, on average, the river was only one metre deep, most of it was very shallow indeed. But the cow still drowned when it tried to cross...

No comments: