2018-05-06

After checking the temperature of each heatsink in the control box (which, despite the decorative ventilation slits...


After checking the temperature of each heatsink in the control box (which, despite the decorative ventilation slits is taking the term "enclosure" rather literally) I decided to venture into the streaming business and start with something simple: air.

While I love hotspots for my tablet, those in the control box are less useful. Seeing that a whole washing cycle was completed after I brought some desperately needed fresh air into the domestic machine washing business, I think I found the culprit responsible for the dwindling loyalty of my washing machine.

Now I need to streamline my streaming activities...

7 comments:

Jörg Walossek said...

👍 still might be an aging component - producing too much resistance and thus overheating. Won't be a solution for the long run. An IR thermometer or a heat cam would be nice to check which component is running hot over the washing cycle.

Olaf Fichtner said...

Jörg Walossek I used my IR thermometer to check the heatsinks, that's why I brought the fan out. I know it's not a final solution, but at least it's a beginning, now I know where to go on.

Jörg Walossek said...

=)) I should have known you're already on with the IR thermometer! Maybe you can figure out what component is the overheating culprit.

Michael Kukat said...

I wonder if you find some aged capacitors being the reason...

Olaf Fichtner said...

Michael Kukat the caps look good from the outside, but I can't check them - epoxy... I'll see how far I can get, at least I can do laundry again, properly.

Michael Kukat said...

During the years of repairing capacitor related problems, I have seen many capacitors looking like fresh from the store but way off specs, sometimes zero capacity. Metal film and electrolytic caps. Sometimes even ceramic ones. And I had plenty of leaking electrolytic caps already destroying the PCB but still wird the nominal capacity.
Capacitors are evil :)

But I have an oscilloscope that gets hot in the PSU and the high speed signal processing for no detectable reason, so semiconductor aging might also be an issue.

birger monsen said...

If any semiconductor/diode gets hot double check the operating voltage... But you know that. Can be a malfunctioning power supply. And back to the capacitors. 😂