2014-11-30

OBD troubles

OBD troubles

My four-wheeled tin can doesn't have a standard OBD2 port, it features the Ford/Mazda 17 pin connector. So I got myself an adapter cable and a BT interface. Plug in everything, no BT device found. Measuring I find everything is quite different.

If pinouts on the internet can be believed (still need to find a comprehensive one for the 17 pin side), this adapter is pretty much junk. Chassis ground is connected to pin 7 (Yes, ISO K-line) instead of 4. There is no signal ground (5), but CAN High (6) is connected. Without CAN Low (14) however, so I have no idea what that is good for.

ISO Low (15 is connected), as is Battery (16), but without Ground (4) there is of course no power. Sorry, not quite right: 4 is connected, but I have no idea with what. (comprehensive 17 pin pinout still missing)

Originally I hoped I can just cut the cable in the middle and rewire, but it looks more like I need to get to the connectors themselves, since there are only six wires.

Does anyone know which connections are really necessary for a BT interface? The Chinese manufacturer apparently didn't...

#obd2-cables

No comments: