2018-07-22

About time.

About time. We had routing for cars first, then bicycles, but I never saw motorcycles, which are different from the other two.

The article speaks of narrow lanes and alleys not accessible by car, but the main point here in Taiwan is that motorized two-wheelers are considered a second- or third-grade matter of transportation, which means they are not allowed on freeways and expressways.

A bicycle is actually more flexible than a motorcycle here, because a bicycle can go everywhere a motorcycle can go, but not vice versa. There is however the drawback of speed...

My Venox can exceed the highest speed limits on this island, but is still not allowed on the freeway. (Standard reason: Dangerous!) I just checked the new feature for my way to work: By car the distance is 102km, by bike 104km, but while the car needs 72 minutes going mostly on the freeway, it's twice that time on two wheels - and that is just theory, without red lights etc.
https://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/google-maps-for-motorcycles/

5 comments:

MICHAEL STEWART (mikeeeee) said...

huh?

John Bump said...

That's a LONG COMMUTE.

Jason ON said...

I dont use "navigation" because im older than a millennial and perfectly capable of looking at a map or making my own way.

Olaf Fichtner said...

John Bump I usually go there one day and come back the next day. I have a sofa and a sleeping bag in my office.

Olaf Fichtner said...

Jason ON I still remember how to use a paper map while riding a bike, but I found that having a voice in my ear telling me when and how to turn, especially based on current traffic conditions, is way more convenient and reliable. I do also vaguely remember how to get to work without navigation - but still turn it on sometimes because these days navigation is not simply about knowing roads but also about knowing which way may be faster based on current traffic.