2018-08-10

A toast!


A toast!

Until now I never had the motivation to get to it, but yesterday I baked toast bread and today I toasted it - and it was good.

Yes, there is toast bread in Taiwan, but it's terrible! It's super soft, totally white, with very fine pores. When you toast it, the surface will change colour, but that's about it. Even when the surface is starting to go black, inside the slice is still soft and white, like marshmallows.

Not having a toaster, this wasn't of much concern to me, I merely shook my head when I participated in BBQs where such "toast bread" appeared. But just this week I had discussed "real" toast with a friend, so I just gave it a try.

Next time I will try a few adjustments, especially I need a little less for my mold. Looks like I got something new to do with my students this semester. And I know what I will eat for breakfast tomorrow...

15 comments:

Bob Lai said...

American restaurants don't make toast anymore - they serve warm bread. If you want something toasted, you have to pester your server.

This is true of bread as well as English muffins.

Ilona Fichtner said...

Lass es Dir schmecken

Olaf Fichtner said...

Ilona Fichtner schmeckt gut, Versuch gelungen. Jetzt brauche ich nur noch einen Toaster...

Olaf Fichtner said...

Bob Lai I'm curious, what kind of bread is your toast: The marshmallow kind I described (like here in Taiwan) or like that in the photo, actually hardening?

Ilona Fichtner said...

Olaf Fichtner Herdplatte oder ich kann beamen, hahaha. Gibt es bei euch nicht? Hast du ein Waffel- nicht Hörncheneisen, dann gibt es gleich noch ein Muster.

Olaf Fichtner said...

Ilona Fichtner wir haben hier billige Toaster, ich habe mir nur mangels akzeptablen Toastbrots nie einen holen wollen...

Hilbersdorfer Museumseisenbahner said...

So war das Toastbrot in Japan auch.

Olaf Fichtner said...

Hilbersdorfer Museumseisenbahner haha, ja, auch in Japan ist richtiges Brot nicht immer leicht zu finden, aber immerhin leichter als hier...

Bob Lai said...

Bread as above. Properly toasted, there’s a crunch and nutty flavor from the browned flour.

Hilbersdorfer Museumseisenbahner said...

Olaf Fichtner
Ich habe kein "richtiges" Brot gefunden. Mein japanischer Freund hat mir in Nagoya eine "Deutsche Bäckerei" gezeigt. Die hatten Brot aus Reismehl. Es hat gut geschmeckt, aber auch der Freund sagte: "Es ist nicht richtig" 🙃 Deshalb hatte er mich gebeten, bei meinem letzten Besuch, ihm ein Brot aus dem Erzgebirge mitzubringen.

Olaf Fichtner said...

Hilbersdorfer Museumseisenbahner Brotbackmischung ist besser - wiegt weniger, hält sich länger...

Dave Sutton said...

My breakfast nearly always consists of toasted brown bread, butter and Marmite

Olaf Fichtner said...

Dave Sutton you would very likely not like what is commonly called "toasted bread" on this island...

Dave Sutton said...

Olaf Fichtner I probably would not, Dot is very selective when choosing bread and the only white bread we get are French Sticks which need to be eaten the same day

Hilbersdorfer Museumseisenbahner said...

Olaf Fichtner
Das ging schon. Montag Nachmittag in Geyer das Brot gekauft, Mittwoch früh haben wir es in Nagoya gegessen.